Dividend Income & Portfolio Update
Personal Highlights – August 2020
- Summer is almost over. We spent a lot of time at the cabin this summer – and in August we both took a week off work and spent the whole time at the lake. My sister was in town for almost the whole month, so we had a lot of drinks, a lot of fun, and got to do a little relaxing too.
- I turned 37 this month. Had a pretty low key birthday at the cabin, spent the day with the family and spent the evening sipping some bourbon and scotch. As Larry David would say “Pretty…Pretty…Good.”
- Although I haven’t been watching much (any) hockey since the Jets got knocked out, I have been watching quite a bit of soccer. I was able to see a bunch of the Champions league games, including the final where Alphonso Davies made history and won the trophy. I’ve also been watching some Nations League games, and starting next week the premier league starts back up! If anyone is interested in joining a Premier League Fantasy league let me know and I’ll send you the details.
- I’ve got a pinched nerve in my neck/back – so I haven’t been too mobile the week or so – which also means no treadmill, bike rides, etc. The good news is – it is starting to feel a lot better – and we just got word our indoor soccer season is going ahead as normal so that should be starting up next month!
- We had some crazy wind yesterday which resulted in a tree at the cabin being split in half and then knocking over and taking out a power line. Luckily Manitoba Hydro took care of it right away, and it won’t cost me anything (Phew)! See below:
Financial Highlights for August 2020:
- August was an expensive month. We had some car issues (brakes, rotors, battery), we paid preschool tuition for the year for my son up front and as usual had the bi-weekly daycare, mortgage and pre authorised investments withdrawals. The good news is – it sounds my salary should be restored to 100% soon (took a temporary pay cut due to covid) AND the wife officially got a promotion/raise!
- In July I made my first 2 stock purchases since the pandemic – I followed that up in August with another purchase of 573 shares of European Residential Reit. This purchase adds an additional $94.20 to my dividend income, and allows me to drip a new share each month. I plan to add more to this position if it dips below $4.10 again when I have some money in my TFSA.
- August is one of my slower months as far as Dividend income goes, and one of the only months this year I didn’t crack $500
- I was paid dividends from 4 companies, and 1 funds this month. I dripped a total of 36 new shares/units.
Passive Income Update For August 2020.
Artis Reit: $28.62 (dripped 3 shares)
Diversified Royalty: $23.25 (dripped 12 new shares)
Interrent Reit: $4.29
Plaza Reit: $30.28 (dripped 8 shares)
TFSA’s Total: $
Canadian Equity Income Distribution: $356.31(dripped 13 shares)
Total Passive Income August 2020: $442.75
My portfolio increased by 5.48% in August to: $374,440.55 I know I say this every month, but I expect continued volatility as well as a bit of a crash around the election. That said, my plan hasn’t changed and I plan on holding if/when this does happen.
After the last 3 purchases (Manulife, Telus & European Residential Reit) I don’t have much cash left in my accounts so I haven’t been updating my watchlist. My plan is to continue adding cash to my TFSA bi-weekly and eventually add to my position in ERE.UN.
Passive income in August was $442.75. This was only the second time this year my income was under $500. This is due to dividend cuts/suspensions due to Covid. Hopefully by middle of 2021, we start to see some of them being reinstated and some other dividend increases.
Since January 1st, I’ve earned $7790.14 in passive income. Assuming no dividend cuts or increases, my current Forward 12 month dividend income is $11,898.58. My goal for the year was $12,000 – and had Covid not hit I believe I would have been well ahead of that – but now I’m going to need to make an additional purchase or two to ensure I meet that goal.
6 thoughts on “August dividend update: another year older…”
Happy birthday virgo buddy. Keep up the great passive income accumulation work. Congratulations on restoration of your pay and your wife’s promotion!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Hey buddy happy belated birthday. That’s great to hear about your pay being restored and congratulations to your wife on the raise.
I like the buy of European Residential Reit.
Hey do you want to send me those details about the Premier League fantasy league please and thanks. I’ve never been in a soccer/football fantasy league. You can DM me on Twitter if you want.
Congrats on a solid month.
As our expense reduced a lot this year due to coronavirus, this year our investment income so far surpassed our expense. But I do expect our expense up a lot once coronavirus goes away or being controlled.
I like the portfolio growth! The 400K is right around the corner!