Dividend Income & Portfolio News
Personal Highlights – May 2020
- 2 Years ago we thought we were going to sell the cabin because it was hard to enjoy with a 1 and 3 year old… but as the kids got older, we’ve really started enjoying it again. We decided if we are going to keep it – we should finally make a few much needed changes. We bought new beds, a new BBQ, brought a few new chairs out, and spent 2 full days ripping up the old carpet/flooring and putting new floors in. It looks and feels like a whole new cabin. Pic below:
- On the Covid front – our province is on “Phase 2” of reopening. Most things are open now, although strict guidelines are still in place. I haven’t yet gone to any restaurants or malls or anything. Although I have made a couple trips to the hardware store. We’ve been really lucky so far in Manitoba *knock on wood* with under 300 confirmed cases since the pandemic started.
- The liquor mart got their yearly supply of my favourite bourbon that they carry so I stocked up. It only comes in once or twice a year, and always sells out, so I need to make sure I stock up when it is available:)
- If I am being completely honest, between Covid, and the protests happening down south, I have lost quite a bit of interest in stocks, sports, etc. I find myself refreshing twitter, reading articles, and going down the rabbit hole reading comments or arguing with people. On the one hand I feel like I need to take a break from it for my own mental health, but on the other hand this is too important to just ignore/take a break.
- I’m going to keep this short this month. Truth be told, I feel kind of like a Jackass even writing a dividend report/blog update with everything going on in the world right now, but it keeps my mind busy. I hate that we even have to say #blacklivesmatter. How fucked up is that? Seriously – think about that for a second. How did we let it get to this? Silence and status quo I think is the biggest factor. If you see or hear something racist, sexist, homophobic – please do your part and call that shit out. It won’t be easy, it will be uncomfortable, but it needs to be done.
Financial Highlights for May:
- Continued bi weekly contributions into TFSA, Wife’s TFSA & Spousal RRSP
- May is usually a slow month, not many dividends paid. The good news is there were no cuts/suspensions this month.
- I was paid dividends from 5 companies, and 1 funds this month. I dripped a total of 43 new shares/units.
- Even though I had to take a temporary pay cut, my spending has been way down, which has more than made up for the temporary cut. I guess it is easy to increase your savings rate when you can’t go out anywhere…haha
- Next month XAW pays its semi annual dividend. This should give my income a nice boost. They haven’t announced their distribution yet, and I assume it will be lower than last year due to Covid, but it should still hopefully work out to over $1000.
Passive Income Update For May 2020.
Diversified Royalty: $22.62(dripped 13 shares)
Artis Reit: $28.22 (dripped 3 shares)
Power Corp: $98.90 (dripped 4 shares)
Interrent Reit: $4.29
Plaza Reit: $29.68 (dripped 10 shares)
TFSA’s Total: $183.73
Canadian Equity Income Distribution: $352(dripped 13.845 shares)
Total Passive Income May 2020: $535.73
My portfolio was up slightly to: $334,531.46 This represents a increase of 1.62% from last month. I expect continued volatility in the market (and my portfolio) for the foreseeable future.
My long term plan hasn’t changed. I haven’t sold a single stock, and I continue to look for good deals. I’ve updated my watchlist, I am currently keeping an eye on: Manulife, First National Bank, Alimentation Couche Tard, Metro and Canadian Western Bank (among a few others).
Passive income in May was $535.73. This is one of my slowest months, but luckily it should be followed by one of my largest. Next month XAW pays one of it’s semi annual distributions. With everything that has gone on in the market, I am not too sure how much to expect from XAW but it should be a much needed boost.
Assuming no dividend cuts or increases, my current Forward 12 month dividend income is $11,340.46.