Just got confirmation this week that my wife has accepted a job and will be returning to work in about a month. Her maternity leave will be coming to an end in a couple of weeks and although the extra income will obviously help – can’t say I am 100% happy about it.
- Increased monthly family income
- Company has a Retirement matching plan
- Wife will get some much needed adult interaction/time out of the house
- Yearly wage increases, benefits, and more
- With both of us working, we will now be forking over between $12,000-$15,000/year in childcare costs. (luckily get some tax relief on the expense)
- Her job requires her to stay an extra hour later than mine, which means unless we get a second vehicle, I’ll be picking up the kids each day and she will have to bus home. Not too bad in the summer, but -40 winters will suck.
- Leaving the kids with a stranger for 8+ hours a day 😦
The hardest part is definitely going to be leaving the kids with someone we don’t know for so long each day. On the plus side, it will be nice to have some interaction with other kids, and I am genuinely curious to see how they will interact with new kids and strangers.
This change is probably extra difficult for me because when I grew up my parents were able to split their shifts so that we never had to go to daycare. So the whole daycare thing is especially foreign to me. I know in the long run it will be best – the wife will be happier, and better off, and once the kids are in school we should really notice the difference in dual income – but the selfish side of me is still going to miss having the kids home everyday.
Anyways, noticed I haven’t posted much this month & just thought i’d share what’s currently going through my head, as we enter this next chapter of our lives. I assume these are pretty normal feelings, but what the hell do I know…
The rest of the month has been good aside from the whole family (except me) getting a cold. We are hosting an Easter dinner this weekend, the Jets are officially in the playoffs (got my playoff tickets in the mail yesterday)! Also received my first dividends from 2 new companies (Western Forest & Power Corp). Full monthly update coming in the next few days!