Sweet Jebus…the first month of 2018 is already over & although it went by too fast – I am happy with what was accomplished!
Personal Highlights for January:
- One of my goals for the year was to take the wife out to dinner at least 5 times, and I am happy to say we were able to get a baby sitter and went to a nice steakhouse earlier this month!
- I was able to find the time to write 6 new blog posts as well as play with the theme/look of the site. This will continue to be a work in progress.
- Added a new section to the website called “My Bar” which although is(slightly off topic) a lot of fun for me to write about & even more fun making and trying new drinks.
- Started (finally) watching Last Man On Earth on Netflix and it is GREAT!
- Had over 1000 visitors to the website in a month for the first time.
Financial Highlights for January:
I am happy to report that I have already followed through with one of my financial goals for the year – and one that I have wanted to do for some time.
- Sold my high cost RBC mutual funds and moved them to my direct investing RSP. Replaced with a lower cost Canadian equity fund & super low cost Global fund. As detailed in this post
- Started gathering all my statements for tax time 🙂
- Continued bi weekly payments into RRSPs & Spousal RSP.
- Increased Spousal RSP amount by $100 bi weekly to try and get our accounts closer in size.
- Set up an RESP for my kids
- Got out of the Penny stock/speculation game completely(for good) and made 2 new stock purchases. You can read more about that HERE.
Passive Income Update For January 2018.
Diversified Royalty: $9.07 (Dripped 2 new shares)
Canadian Western Bank: $0.24
Artis Reit: $49.86 (Dripped 3 shares)
Plaza Reit: $24.75 (Dripped 5 shares)
Algonquin Power: $110.35 (Dripped 8 shares)
Chorus Aviation: $10.80 (Dripped 1 share)
TFSA’s Total: $205.07
Canadian Equity Income Distribution: $213.99
Total Passive Income January 2018: $419.06
*The transfer of funds from mutual fund to ETF/Direct investing hasn’t happened as of writing this – even though papers have been signed – so next month will represent the new funds.
My portfolio grew by 1.67% month over month and once again hit an all time! The early retirement portfolio now sits at $306,396.65. Dividends grew by $14.95 vs last January (year over year growth of 3.69%). I expect my dividend growth rate to increase quite a bit more this year once my funds are transferred from my Mutual Funds and into my direct investing account/redeployed. I am also planning on trying to contribute more into my TFSA this year which should help increase dividends for the year.
I’ve decided to add a new section to the monthly updates, which will be my top 5 stocks I am looking to buy in the future/keeping an eye on:
Current Watch List:
Andrew Peller: ADW
InterRent Reit: IIP
Northview Apartment Reit: NVU
Caledonia Mining: CAL
How was your month?