2017 is over, and although it seems like it went by extremely fast, I am excited by what was accomplished, and what 2018 has in store for us.
In 2017 the following 3 things happened which shaped the way the year went for me:
- My son Isaac was born
- Bought our “forever” home
- Started this blog to help track my goals, progress and keep me sane
One of my first blog posts I wrote was my goals for 2017, and although I didn’t accomplish all of them, considering I only had 6 months since writing them down I think I did okay. Here is a quick reminder of what they were – and how I did:
Personal Goals (Completed 4/5)
- Start setting goals! PASS
- Sell our house & buy a new house PASS
- Start a website & keep it updated PASS
- Spend more time at home/with family PASS
- Try 5 new restaurants (with Amber) FAIL
Oddly enough, the only goal I wasn’t able to accomplish was what would SEEM like one of the easiest. That said there were multiple times that I did try to get out to new places, a lot of the time she was just too tired, we couldn’t get a sitter, etc. I guess in 2018 I’ll need to try a bit harder.
Financial Goals (Completed 2/3)
- Get Amber “set up” financially PASS
- Eliminate all debt (not including mortgage) PASS
- Get total portfolio Value to $320,000 by December 31 FAIL
2018 was a pretty good year for the portfolio, and I believe I would have hit all three targets if we hadn’t spent a bit more on the house than we had originally planned. That said, we love the house and I have no regrets.
Even though my portfolio fell short of the aggressive $320,000 goal I had set, I did hit a new milestone in 2017 as my portfolio finished the year at $301,375.67 which was the first time it broke $300,000! My portfolio started the year @ $251,880.81 which means I was about 500 dollars away from a yearly increase of $50,000!
My goals for 2018 are going to be short and sweet:
2018 Personal Goals:
- Increase the amount of blog posts – and the range of content on this site
- Get life insurance & a will in order
- Take the wife to 5 new restaurants (Going to try this again)
2018 Financial Goals:
- Sell off my Mutual funds through my bank and replace them with low cost ETF’s and individual stocks
- Receive $10,000 in passive dividend income
- Increase overall portfolio to $350,000.00
Now onto the fun stuff….December Update:
Personal Highlights for December:
- Celebrated our first Christmas with Isaac
- Hosted our first ever Christmas Family dinners (40+ people on xmas eve and 30 on Boxing Day).
- The kids got RIDICULOUSLY spoiled, our house is filled with toys, books, clothes, and more. We plan on going through a bunch of their old toys, clothes, and donating this month.
- Isaac has started pulling himself up on the table, and got his first 2 teeth
- Total investment portfolio broke the $300,000.00 milestone
- Amber’s TFSA recieved over $100 in dividends for the first time and also recieved more than my TFSA for the first time.
- Continued bi weekly payments into RRSPs & Spousal RSP.
- Amber’s TFSA/RRSP are now over $20,500. (They didn’t exist 6 months ago)
Passive Income Update For December 2017.
Diversified Royalty: $9.03 (Dripped 2 new shares)
Lucara Diamond: $7.00 (have since closed this position)
Artis Reit: $49.59 (Dripped 3 new shares)
Plaza Reit: $24.62 (Dripped 6 new shares)
Chorus Aviation: $10.76 (Dripped 1 share)
Intertape Polymer: $49.49
Alimentation Couche Tard: $11.25
TOTAL TFSA’S: $202.59
Canadian Equity Income Distribution: $213.01
Global Dividend Fund Distribution: $422.33
Total Passive Income July 2017: $837.93
With the contributions to Amber’s TFSA, my continued bi weekly contributions and this seemingly never-ending bull market our portfolio hit an all time high: $301,375.67! Looking forward to see what 2018 brings!